As seniors, you are permitted to use two college visitations, but they need to be taken prior to April 24, 2015. Be sure to take advantage of these opportunities!
August- December: Register for the ACT and finalize your college search. Begin filling out college applications online. Please note college application deadlines. Attend the College Readiness Programs with the counselors on Wednesdays 10th period. Complete college applications by winter break, this will ensure that you've met the application time-frame and not missed it! The Guidance office also has waiver's for students who recieve free/reduced lunch to waive college application fees.
January: Complete FAFSA form. Check with the schools you are interested in about their financial aid deadlines. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov or call 1-800-4-FED-AID. Also, remember to have your first semester grades sent to the schools you have applied to.
February: College Goal Sunday, February 8, 2015 @ OSU-N/COTC. This is a great even to participate in getting one-on-one help filling out your FASFA.
February- June: Apply to any and all scholarships available to you. Some places you can find scholarships are in the C-TEC counseling office, your home schools bulletin boards (at C-TEC), your home schools website, from the college itself, and on www.fastweb.com.
March-April: Schools usually send out acceptance or rejection letters at this time. Notify the schools of your decision to accept or reject admission offers. Also, notify the C-TEC counseling office of your final choice and and scholarships that you have received.
May: Make sure your final choice school knows your are coming and you have done what you need to do in terms of financial aid, housing, class registration, placement testing, etc.
June: Sign up in the C-TEC counseling office to have your final transcripts sent to your school if they require one.
Getting Ready for College
- Begin college applications
- Begin applying for scholarships
- Early admission deadlines begin
- Request letters of recommendation
- Early admission deadline at many colleges
- Regular admission deadlines begin
- Complete all college applications before winter break
- Regular admission deadline at many colleges
- Submit FAFSA
- Apply for scholarships at colleges you want to attend
- Continue searching and applying for scholarships
- Submit FAFSA (if not already done)
- Admission decisions & financial aid award letters begin to arrive
- Continue applying for scholarships
- Make a chart to compare college admission & aid offers
- Remaining admission & financial aid letters arrive
- Narrow college choices & notify colleges you will not attend
- Begin researching student loans, if needed
- Explore summer job options
- Deadline to submit enrollment form & deposit to your college of choice
- Create a college spending budget
- Finalize housing plans